Shop in Little Falls, New York ... Save Money, Live Better!
Think Local - Live Local - Live BETTER!
Shop Little Falls, New York is all about promoting and supporting local businesses. It’s about making your hard-earned money go further, fueling the local economy, and helping to preserve the unique character of Little Falls.
Sidewalk Art Comes to Little Falls!!
This summer, the children of Little Falls were treated to two instructional classes on creating vivid, 3-D sidewalk chalk art by the nationally renowned graphics artist, Eric Maruscak. The classes took place at the Little Falls Middle School on June 19th, and at Canal Place on July 17th, as part of the Third Thursday events in Little Falls. After the classes, the chidlren, as well as many adults, enjoyed watching Eric create his own special chalk art creations, first of Rocket Racoon and then of Captain America.
Eric is well-known to those who attend the Comic Cons around the nation for his wonderful sidewalk chalk masterpieces of various comic and video game characters! Because he lives in Binghamton, Eric graciously agreed to create some of his work for Little Falls on Third Thursdays this summer.
These events were part of the "Taking it to the Streets for Healthier, Happier Children" initiative, made possible by a generous grant from the Dale Memorial Trust, and sponsored by the Think Local Little Falls Committee, in cooperation with the Little Falls Family YMCA, the Mohawk Valley Center for the Arts, the City of Little Falls Tourism Committee, the DiamondDawgs, and Van Meter & Van Meter, LLC. This arts program is based on a growing body of scientific research showing that communities that offer arts, entertainment, and recreation are more likely to have healthier children. These studies draw a strong correlation between communities that have made an investment in the happiness of children and communities populated with healthy children. Further, this research suggests that broader participation in art-oriented recreational activities also contributes to the health of children.
For more information on arts activities and art instruction for children and adults, call the Mohawk Valley Center for the Arts at 823-0808!
For more information on Eric Maruscak and his studio, Pepper Ink, visit his website!
Here are some photos of the sidewalk art events that happened recently in Little Falls:
Be sure to come to Little Falls on July 17th and enjoy all the great specials and fun events! Be sure to check out these special events on Third Thursday:
- Sidewalk Chalk Art! Professional comic-style graphic artist Eric Maruscak will be BACK in Little Falls to teach a sidewalk chalk art class from 1-to-3:30pm at the Mohawk Valley Center for the Arts, and then he will create another SPECIAL sidewalk art masterpiece in Canal Place during the afternoon and early evening. Be sure to sign up for the class, or at least come down and watch this world-renowned sidewalk artist at work. Normally you would have to attend a Comic-Con event to see this artist at work, but on Third Thursday you can see him in LITTLE FALLS! While you watch this amazing artist perform, grab some chalk, provided for free, and create your own masterpiece on the sidewalk! For more information on Eric Maruscak, visit his website!
- Live Band - Springhouse! Bring your lawn chairs down to Sterzinar Park and sit back and enjoy an eclectic mix of Americana, Celtic, and Folk, from 6:30-to-9pm. Springhouse is a quartet of veteran musicians who have been performing together since 2011. Springhouse plays a wide variety of traditional and contemporary folk and acoustic music. Springhouse brings these diverse performers and styles together to create a delightful and fresh approach to all forms of Traditional American and Celtic Music. “Where American Folk Music meets the Celtic World.” Be sure to visit our Canal Place restaurants and ice cream parlors for refreshments!
- Starving Artists & Crafts Sidewalk Fair! Shop for locally-made crafts and high-quality arts from nearly 20 vendors! Booths will be set up in Canal Place and Sterzinar Park, so come downtown to enjoy the band, see the professional chalk artist, and shop for some amazing arts and crafts swag! This is summer in Little Falls just like the good old days!
- Open Mic Nite For Kids, at Sterzinar Park from 5:30-to-6:30pm! Come down and watch as Miss Mohawk Valley, Lauren Crandall, hosts the areas up and coming young talent in this spectacular outdoor show. If your children have an act to perform, bring them down and let them perform! Come and have fun with friends, and watch as our talented chidren and youth express themselves!
- Free Movie! Come to our hometown movie theater, the Valley Cinema, at 2pm for a FREE showing of Transformers: Age of Extinction! (Editorial note: Good people of Little Falls, we really need to roll-up our sleeves and help this theater convert to digital equipment, or we risk losing this valuable asset to our community! What would the loss of our hometown theater mean to us, to our children, and our to grandchildren?)
- Free Hay Wagon Ride! Come the Herkimer Home for a FREE wagon tour of this lovely and historic park on the homestead of General Herkimer, who led his troops into a famous ambush during the Revolutionary War. The tours start at the Visitor Center at 3pm and again at 4pm.
- Little Falls Reads, Get your complimentary copy of "The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet,"by Jamies Ford, from Gansevoort House Galleries, and participate in the literary discussion at Il Caffé, 410 Canal Place, from 3:30-4:30pm.
- Baseball Heroes! Come out to Canal Place and meet the MV Diamond Dawgs at Canal Place, as they host fun kids games for this Third Thursday.
- Craft Beer Tasting at The Piccolo Cafe from 5-to-8pm! It is no secret that the craft beer revolution is sweeping the nation, and beer-lovers have never had it better since the dark age of the Prohibition destroyed the rich and proud American brewing industry. Celebrate the return of quality, locally-crafted beers on Third Thursday at The Piccolo Cafe!
- Adult Story Hour Cancelled. Due to unforeseen circumstances, the ever-popular Adult Story Hour is cancelled this month, but it should resume in August.
We have some really special and fun events for the whole family planned for Third Thursdays in Little Falls this summer! For a sneak preview, be sure to look at the online copy of the Summer 2014 Third Thursday Event Guide online here!
For a complete listing of special events and in-store sales and drawing, please see our Third Thursdays page!
Featured Little Falls Business - Always Treasured
After retiring from a 50 year career in the restaurant business, in June 2006 Siegfried Sprenger decided to open an antique store on Main Street in Little Falls. Woodworking was always his lifelong hobby, and his appreciation for quality work and craftsmanship got him interested in antiques and everyday items of the past.
Siegfried grew up in post-WW2 Germany, where any goods were hard to come by, nothing was thrown away, and everything was repaired. It gives him special satisfaction when he can transform a broken, hopeless piece of furniture into a beautiful object of art.
Always Treasured caters to all people, offering everything from inexpensive used furniture and articles to higher-end antiques and collectibles. If you are looking for a certain article, Siegfried will try to find it for you. He has a loyal local following, and out-of-town dealers stop by regularly. Siegfried also does repairs, refinishing and lamp rewiring.
Be sure to check back often, to see our current featured Little Falls business!
Flash Flood Update - Thank You Volunteers!
It has been a little over a week since the flash floods of late June and early July devastated the Mohawk Valley and damaged many of the businesses in Little Falls. Fortunately, all of the businesses in Little Falls are now re-opened and serving the local community. We would like to sincerely thank the many, many volunteers from the area who came out and helped to clean up the mud and debris. It was hot, dirty, smelly work, and we greatly appreciate your selflessness and community spirit! It’s people like you make Little Falls and the Mohawk Valley one of the best places to live in the country!
Here are some more photos of the clean-up provided by Elaine Cobb, who tirelessly helped in the clean-up herself:
Businesses in Little Falls Dig Out after Flash Flooding
As you are aware, flash floods swept throughout the Mohawk Valley on June 28, 2013. Many businesses in Little Falls suffered property damage from the water and mud, and several businesses suffered heavy damage.
We are happy to report that most of the local businesses in Little Falls are back in operation, and ready to serve you. The business community of Little Falls would like to thank the many volunteers in the community who came out on Friday to help us dig out of the muck. We cannot name everyone who helped, in part because there were so many of you and in some cases you did not tell us your names, so let us extend a representative thank you to members of Main Street First, many of whom spent the entire day shoveling mud and cleaning up shelves. The spirit of neighbor helping neighbor that so many people in Little Falls brought to life makes us proud to call ourselves members of this proud community!
A big thanks to Darryl Harrington for providing the photos!